Ohio gets $5.5 million to retrain workers laid off due to imports 

By PAUL M. KRAWZAK
Copley Washington correspondent 

WASHINGTON — The U.S. Labor Department on Tuesday awarded Ohio $5.5 million in emergency aid to retrain workers
who lost their jobs because of imports.

Government officials said the trade adjustment assistance will pay for retraining 1,870 laid-off Ohio workers.

Among those who could qualify for the training are area workers who were laid off from Republic Technologies International, based in Fairlawn; Ansell Healthcare in Massillon; and The Timken Co. in Canton. Those companies are among 61 in Ohio where the Labor Department determined that increased imports led to layoffs.

Chad Aleshire, a spokesman for the Labor Department, said laid-off workers from certified companies such as Republic have to apply individually for benefits to see if they are eligible.

Gov. Bob Taft requested the aid last week after learning that the federal government had run out of money for the program.

“I appreciate the White House’s quick response, which will enable this critical training to continue,” Taft said.

The state received $4.7 million for training this year before the money was exhausted.

Rep. Ralph Regula, R-Bethlehem Township, announced the award after being notified by the Labor Department. Regula chairs a House subcommittee that plays a key role in funding the Labor Department.

While the federal government provides the funding, the state Department of Job and Family Services administers the training programs. Workers should apply to Job and Family Services to see if they are eligible for aid.