The San Diego-Union Tribune

September 14, 2001

190 dead at Pentagon

Army general killed; recovery continues

By OTTO KREISHER 
COPLEY NEWS SERVICE 

WASHINGTON -- The death toll from the terrorist attack on the Pentagon
was set tentatively at 190 yesterday, as emergency personnel struggled
through grisly and dangerous conditions to continue recovering bodies.

The first relatively firm casualty count includes 126 service members, Defense
Department civilian workers and contractor employees who were working in
the part of the Pentagon destroyed by Tuesday's attack and who have not
been accounted for.

The other 64 were the passengers and crew of the hijacked American Airlines jet that crashed into the western side of the military headquarters. Not included in the count are the terrorists.

Area hospitals treated nearly 100 people injured in the explosion and fire. Ten are hospitalized in serious or critical condition.

The defense personnel killed included 33 Navy and 21 Army service
members, 66 civilian employees and six workers from the firms renovating the building. No Marine Corps or Air Force personnel were killed.

The Navy released the names of its 42 casualties after notifying relatives and
assigning casualty-assistance workers to help them. The uniformed personnel
were split almost equally between enlisted and officers.

Two of the Navy victims were from California, but neither was from San
Diego County. 

The Army released only one name of its 74 casualties because it needed more time to notify the families of the 53 civilians.

The Army said Lt. Gen. Timothy Maude, chief of personnel, was killed. He
was the highest-ranking U.S. officer to die in a hostile act since World War II.

The area of the Pentagon hit by the airliner held mostly Army and Navy
offices. Those included the Navy operations center, resources and training
managers, and the Chief of Naval Information.

But many of the offices in the damaged area were vacant because of the
renovation.

In releasing the names of the Navy casualties, Navy Secretary Gordon
England and Adm. Vern Clark, the chief of naval operations, extended their
condolences and prayers to "the members of the Navy family" affected by the
tragedy.

England said they were casualties of "the first war of the 21st century."

Clark said the Navy personnel who died were people who chose a "life of
service" and "were serving their nation when they were attacked.

"This naval officer is mighty proud to be serving with people who are
committed to such a lifestyle."

Clark noted that some family members of Navy personnel were killed on the
airliner that hit the Pentagon.

The Pentagon has reclassified its operations at the crash site from "search and
rescue" to "search and recovery," meaning that no one is likely to be found
alive in the ruins.

The recovery of remains had been interrupted by the persistent fire and the
danger that part of the damaged building would collapse on rescue workers,
but resumed Wednesday and continued through yesterday.

Arlington County Fire Department Capt. Scott McKay, a recovery
supervisor, said they were shoring up a weakened part of the building next to
the huge hole carved in the five-story building.

"It's a very dangerous situation for the rescuers," McKay said.

The recovery workers said many of the bodies were badly burned or
dismembered, making identification difficult.

Because of those conditions, a team of military pathologist, dental technicians
and DNA specialists has been assembled at the Dover Air Force Base
mortuary in Delaware.

Meanwhile, the Pentagon continued its struggle to resume some semblance of
normal operations. About 40 percent of the building remains closed due to
damage from the fire or smoke.

In a sign of patriotism and defiance, a huge American flag is hanging from the
roof near the ruined section, placed there by firefighters after the fires were
extinguished Wednesday.